A YouTube video can be an excellent addition to a lesson. When used at the beginning of a lesson, videos can grab student interest and provide context for what the students will be learning about. Videos can also be used to enhance the meaning of text, maintain lesson momentum, and provide additional opportunities for communication.
Many schools prevent users from accessing video websites. In order to circumvent this problem, you can convert the video to a file format that can be saved and embedded in programs such as PowerPoint, Boardmaker, and Classroom Suite. There are hundreds of websites that have this capability but my personal preference is Online Video Converter.
Continue reading to learn how to convert YouTube videos for classroom activities.
The first step is to find a video that can enhance instruction rather than replace it (you are still doing the teaching). This should not be too long (less than 2 minutes) and be developmentally appropriate for the students. For this example, I am going to use a video of a song about the letter A to enhance a reading lesson.
- Open Online Video Converter. Select Extract Audio or Video from URL.
2.Copy and past the URL for the selected YouTube video into the video link field.
3. Select the type of video file you want in the Settings drop down menu. I have found that most programs accept .avi or .wmv files.
4. Select the Convert button
5. Select the Download button
6. Save As or copy and paste the video file into a folder. When including videos on Boardmaker, PowerPoint, and Classroom Suite activities, make sure to save the video in the same folder as the activity files.
7. Your video file is ready to view or embed in interactive lessons using Boardmaker, PowerPoint, or Classroom Suite!