Amanda received a grant earlier this year for adapting toys and games. We made a giant list of games and all of the materials we thought we might need to adapt them. Candy Land was at the top of the list. I had seen an idea for adapting the game with textures on Pinterest a few years ago (you can click here to see the original post) and wanted to add something similar to our game collection. Continue reading to find out how we adapted Candy Land for our school.
We ordered a few game boards, a light touch/switch adapted game spinner, and blank dice to get started. The first things I noticed when the games arrived was how small the actual game board is and that it is extremely busy. I actually googled old Candy Land boards to compare because I was so taken aback by the changes they had made since my childhood.
We intended to adapt the game with textures to better support some of our students with visual impairments. With so much going on on the board we decided that we should paint the majority of the board black.
The textures from various craft supplies we had lying around(washcloths, sponges, cork, foam, felt, etc…). The textures were hot-glued onto the board, the die, and the game pieces.
I was stumped about what to do with the second board. Only a handful of our students would be able to play the game “as is”. There was just too much happening on that tiny piece of card board. It needed to be BIGGER!
I scanned the board and reprinted it on 8 tabloid sized pieces of paper. After laminating the pieces I taped most of them together with packing tape. There is no packing tape down the middle of the last two rows in order to better fold the board.
Next, I cut about a 1/2 inch from the perimeter of the game spinner and it fit very nicely into the adapted spinner we had purchased.
The final step was to choose game pieces. A few weeks ago, Amanda was playing Don’t Wake Daddy with some students. When asked to choose a game piece the student looked at all the very white children and let out a big sigh. He wanted a game piece that looked like him.
I set out looking for some small dolls that were as diverse as the students at our school. I found some on Amazon.com that were perfect. These dolls would also be a perfect addition to the Candy Land game.
If you really want to adapt for the students in your class, I have found some small wheelchairs on Amazon.com in the past.
I used some clear Velcro on the board and placed them on the feet of each doll. This way classes have the option of hanging the board up or playing at the table/on the floor.
The final step was to create some visual supports for the game. I created some large visual directions for the big board (it is made for tabloid paper but you can print on letter sized and tape it together) that can be downloaded here.
I also included some turn cards that can be downloaded here. These are folded in half and laminated so that one side says “My Turn” and another says “Wait for friends”.I also made some rule cards on a black background for the texture adapted game. There is a “roll” card and a card that can be front/back that says “stop” and “go” when students are moving their pieces on the game board.
The final step was to create a step scanning activity in Classroom Suite to go with the game. Students can scan through the color options, choose the color they landed on, and watch a video about that color. I converted most of the videos from YouTube (you can find directions here). They must be converted as .MOV files to use in Classroom Suite. I did not share this due to copyright issues. Please comment below if you would still like me to post the activity without the videos to the Intellitools Activity Exchange.
Whew! This was a long post. I hope you are able to take some of these ideas and use them with the children you work with.